Prep Time: 8 hours, 00 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup dried red beans
- Water for boiling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- Wash the beans and throw out any that are damaged. Place the beans in a small to medium-sized saucepan, cover with water and soak overnight. (This helps shorten the cooking time).
- The next day, bring the beans and water to a boil. Simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until the beans have softened, adding more water as necessary. Drain.
- Process the beans in a blender until smooth. Remove from the blender, and stir in the sugar.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan. Fry the beans on medium-low heat (about 4 on an electric stove) for a few minutes until they are dry, pressing them gently with the back of a spatula to form a paste.
- Cool and use as called for in the recipe. (Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, homemade sweet red bean paste will last for approximately one week). Yields approximately 1 3/4 cups.