zest ((orange colored outer layer of the peel) from 1 orange
- Remove the zest from one orange using a vegetable peeler. If any pith (the white bitter layer of the peel) is removed with the zest, trim or scrape it off with a paring knife. Place the zest, 1/2 cup of water, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for five minutes.
- After the mixture has simmered, drain the syrup from the zest and allow the syrup to cool.
- Peel oranges and blend with a blender to get orange juice.
- Mix cooled syrup and orange juice together and freeze in freezer for about 1/2 hour.
- Remove from freezer and transfer into ice cream maker.
Technorati Tags: Orange Sorbet Recipe