1 stick (1/2 cup) butter - room temperature
2 tbsp of sugar
1 1/3 cups (170g) flour
1 tsp of salt
5 tbsp of sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp of fruit jam (I used homemade plum jam)
1/2 cup (64g) flour
3 tbsp of sugar
4 tbsp butter – softened
1. Peel, core and coarsely dice apples. In a large skillet, combine apples, sugar and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes, until apples are tender but still firm. In a small cup, combine cornstarch and lemon juice.
2. Add to the apple and stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until thickened. Dish out and set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8" x 8" square pan and line the bottom with parchment paper leaving an overhang on both side (for easy removing your bars later)
4. In a medium bowl, combined flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Rub in butter to the flour until its crumbly and resemble breadcrumbs. Press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven.
5. Spread the jam evenly on the base while it's still hot and top it with the cooked apple.
6. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the crumble. Mix until well combined and crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool. Cut into squares and serve.