20g sweet potato
20g green beans
3 tbsp tempura flour
2 tbsp cold water
60ml soba soup base
80g dried soba noodles
2L water to boil soba
Shichimi – seven flavor chili pepper
- Slice sweet potato into quarter inch slices. Chop it into quarter inch strip.
- Slice carrots into quarter inch slices. Chop it into quarter inch strip.
- Chop off the stem end of green beans. Cut it into 2 inch pieces.
- Slice the onion into quarter inch slices.
- Sieve tempura flour into a bowl.
- Add cold water and stir lightly. (tempura batter)
- Put all vegetables strip into a bowl. Add a little tempura flour and mix it evenly. Add into tempura batter and mix it well.
- Prepare soup: Warm up soba soup base diluted with water in a pot.
- In the mean time, prepare fried vegetables mixture (kakiage): Place the vegetable mixtures on a wooden rice paddle. Gently put the mixture into the oil. Keep the vegetable strips together. Deep fry until both side turn golden brown.
- Drain the oil and place the kagiage on a rack.
- Take out a bowl of hot water from the pot. Place soba noodle in the boiling water. Gently spread the noodle evenly. When it comes to a full boil, immediately reduce heat to low. Let it for a few seconds and drain the noodle in running water.
- Reheat soba soup base.
- Emerge the noodle in icy water to give better texture. Drain the noodles well with a kitchen tower. Pour hot water onto the soba. Drain it with a kitchen towel again.
- Transfer noodle into a bowl. Pour the hot soba soup base to the noodles. Place kakiage on top of the noodles and finally sprinkle with some shichimi.